Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Need Help..what can I do to improve this setup

  1. #1
    Inactive Member justint's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2005
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a 98 CR-V with a JRSC on it.

    Initially it was installed with the stock setup, fmu, stock injectors etc...everything that came with the kit along with comptech intake and headers.

    The auto tranny didn't like that and into the shop it went for an auto to manual swap.

    The auto to manual swap went well, but in the process I have a much less smooth boosted setup.

    The shop swapped the blower pulley to a 3 inch unit which = 9psi of boost I am told. The FMU was kept, an Apexi VAFC2 was installed and "tuned", and an MSD 6AL ignition and MSD BTM master was installed retarding boost .5 per pound of boost. I am not happy with the way it runs, seems to bog down, stalls sometimes when I come to idle, and generally seems like it isn't running right.

    What can I do to to improve this setup short of ripping it all out and putting in a Hondata/Crome system? I would rather not spend huge amounts of money on it. Is keeping the FMU and VAFC2 together a good idea. Should I install bigger injectors and try and tune with the VAFC2 with no FMU?

    pics of the setup are here.

    http://manyroads.org/CRV/manifoldsensors.JPG
    http://manyroads.org/CRV/engine1.JPG
    http://manyroads.org/CRV/engine2.JPG
    http://manyroads.org/CRV/vehicleside.JPG

  2. #2
    Inactive Member promotion's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2003
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would first start off by getting rid of that fuel enrichment relay and use JR map sensor mod instead. Also, with that much boost you are probably starving the engine of fuel at higher RPM, you will also have to get a larger fuel pump. Since you converted your transmission to manual, you have the opportunity to use an aftermarket fuel management system. I would go with either Hondata or the AEM EMS system. Whether you go with these modifications or not, you still need to get the car on a dyno for proper tuning.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member justint's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2005
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I did add the Walbro upgraded fuel pump when the kit was installed.

    Will the MAP mod work with the VAFC2?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member blownLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2001
    Posts
    190
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know this isn't the news you are looking for, but you need to get rid of all those band-aids and tune it properly with Hondata, bigger injectors (look for cheap used ones on e-bay, injectors get dirty but don't go bad) and get some much needed dyno time.

    You will have a better running car, higher gas mileage, better idle with no stalls, and you should be able to find 10-15 more HP. It will feel like it came back from the factory...

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member PickleTeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2006
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with the above post...once I got the Hondata on my car and tuned by Jim, it was like it came from the factory like that. Plus you can sell your FMU for like 50 bucks on Ebay like I did. LOL But really, your engine is only as stong as it's weakest part...yours is your fuel set up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •